Sunday, February 28, 2010

Flashback to 2002, Day 10

February 21, 2002:
Tonight it is starting to feel like things are winding down a little. Some of the venues finished up today and we are seeing a lot more athletes who are out of training and ready to party. When I check in at the staff tent everyday I get a stamp in a playbook to show how many shifts I have worked. Today I got my 11 shift stamp (counting the Dress Rehearsal the Thursday before the Opening Ceremonies), so I am official. I get to keep the outfit - I told someone last week that they would have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers - which is lucky, since I shortened the sleeves after the first day. I had to cut off almost 7 inches! I don't know who they measured for length, maybe the orangutan from those Clint Eastwood movies.
LOST AND FOUND MESS OF THE DAY (maybe the whole olympics!):
Yesterday, when I was off, was the cold, rainy day. I got to the IB and started to pack the box for the L & F center and it was disgusting. There were a record number of items and they were all WET!!! One huge snowboard glove weighed about 5 pounds and had an inch of water in the bottom of the bag. Apparently they debated leaving things out overnight to dry, but were worried about things disappearing. I can't imagine anyone coming back for any of that stuff, except for an umbrella or two. I'm guessing the center will start smelling of mildew soon.
This was a pretty quiet night. I even got to sneak out to watch the "Land of Enchantment" parade. (Doesn't it sound more like Disneyland all the time? Especially with the "Welcome to the Games announcements" constantly over the loudspeakers. I can understand Jean Claude Killy being used, but still can't figure out what Alex Trebek has to do with the Olympics!)
The news about the Russian whining and threatening to "take their ball and go home" is especially funny. Everything I have had to do with any Russians so far has been a royal pain. From the first day, with the lost journalist, to the angry videotaper, I can't say I've been glad to see any of them. One day I had two other journalists storm into the tent, come over to the table, lean over and wave their tickets right in my face. One was yelling, with an overwhelming accent, "Media Place, Media Place!" and the other one, same accent, "Russian Interpreter, Russian Interpreter!!" Honestly, what a way to get help. I, for once, couldn't get a word in. We finally calmed them down a bit and herded them out to their area. (All I could think of were the sterotypical KGB agents-pretending to be coaches or media - in all of the movies during the Cold War.) Maybe it's just the journalists - I haven't had any Russian athletes to deal with, but, no wonder they think no one likes them.
We have Victoria Jackson emceeing now. She seems to be the biggest hit of the four. The concert, however, was one of the most annoying yet, Alanis Morissette. Several people complained about her seeming to be drunk or high and she kept swigging from a gigantic glass. Impressive.
I got to talk someone who has been backstage every night. His opinion of each of the bands was interesting. He said that he had always been a fan of Dave Matthews, but no more. The band was so obnoxious (and high) that they were awful to work with, probably the worst. Creed were especially self-important - they insisted on increased security - to protect them from us, I guess. Please... Everyone's favorite remains Bare Naked Ladies. They were the most down to earth - they got out and shmoozed with the little people - and they did, by far, the best concert. Who'd have guessed?
I was supposed to have Saturday off, but I think I will go in so that the guy in the booth will stay home. He has already announced that he won't come in on Sunday and my supervisor said she would appreciate not having to deal with him if I'm gone. He obviously doesn't want to be there and does everything begrudgingly and his attitude is so condescending and sharp that we all are happier when he leaves (which he does often. Last night during the shift, he went shopping at the Superstore!) Now that we are approaching the end, I want to take advantage of the time that is left.

No comments: