Sunday, February 28, 2010

Flashback to 2002, Day 13

February 24, 2002:
This is going to be a strange day. After working late last night, we are supposed to show up at 8:00, but we arranged with Linda to check in around 9:30. It still isn't enough - I feel like I never left.
Then there is that whole business about the "riot". I'm not surprised that the disturbance happened after the N'SYNC concert - it was a strange group. I'm just hoping that Mayor Rocky (the squirrel) gets a better sense of the fun to be had with with the "party atmosphere" on the streets with alcohol and kids.
I realized last night that this experience is a lot like going to camp. You are put into a compressed situation where you quickly find who you like and don't and you make great friends that you know you will never see again. Everyone has started taking pictures of each other and exchanging phone numbers and addresses. Some are even getting autographs - is that Junior High or what?
I am impressed with Martina McBride already. After all the posturing we have had the past few days from some of these groups, she is a refreshing change. She was doing her sound check, as usual, when we came in and when she saw all the staff stopping to listen, she invited us in and played 4-5 songs just for us. She even posed for pictures. What a gal!
Lately the IB has become an impromptu mothers room. We've had to clear a table for diaper changes and furnish a chair in the warmest corner for nursing. I guess no one thought we would have that many babies, since they require tickets for everyone, even babes in arms. At least they have been attended and we have not had to provide sitting service.
A group who haven't gotten much attention have been the workers that handle the trash pickup and maintenance around the plaza. I've gotten to be friendly with many of them and they seem delighted to get some appreciation. One sweet Hispanic man has been in several days to pick up a few penlights - they are handed out each night at the gate, but they run out after an hour or two. We've been grabbing a boxful of them to keep for those who missed out and come in to ask for them. He has felt sorry for little kids who come too late and can't get them, so he picks up a bunch to give to them. Today we don't have the usual high school cheerleaders to dispense them (I have a variety of cheerleader stories that I've declined to share), so we have a big bag to keep and don't think there will be all that much of a crowd. When he came in, I handed him the whole bag and told him to take them home and pass them around the neighborhood - I'm guessing that those kids haven't had much contact with the Olympic Spirit. He just lit up and said he was going to take them to the school near his home. We had one or two come later for lights and I didn't even feel guilty.
The schedule today is different - the concert starts at 11:45 and goes an hour or so, then they are going to show the hockey game until the medals are presented there, then they will give the two remaining medals here. Usually, no one can leave and reenter, but today, after considerable discussion and question, the news finally reached us that reentry was going to be allowed, since they couldn't expect everyone to be thrilled to sit and watch the hockey game the whole time. About half left to wander the square while the hockey fans enjoyed the big screen. It was very quiet for an hour or so, but I had the most pleasant time, playing host to the oldest Olympic volunteer. She is a teeny Italian lady, Ida Brunatti, who worked 9-11 hour days working in the media center. She was in charge of checking accreditation and guarding the gates. She told me that if someone tried to get in without the proper pass, "I'd just stand in the way and not let them get by ME!" Oh, she is 91. What a pistol. She and her son told me a ton of great stories about working with the media. Bob Costas greeted her by name and hugged her everh day. The only thing I was jealous of, though, is their food situation. They got







to choose between McDonald's (which I don't especially love, but which would have been at least edible), the International cafeteria, where they had food for all the foreign journalists, and a real steakhouse, where they could use the same food coupons to get steak or lobster and crab and just pay a few extra bucks. What a rip!I got to see the first medals ceremony and today I saw the last. The Team USA bobsled guys were so excited to get their medals. Again, the crowd went wild for them, but still cheered louder for the Germans who won.
LOST AND FOUND OF THE DAY: A lady called to check to see if someone had turned in her $20,000 diamond necklace. You just want to ask why anyone would wear something like that to a sporting event or street festival!
My favorite spectator today is the lady from back east who commented positively on all the hosts and then asked, "You are all so cheerful. Are you all on Valium?"
At the end of the shift, we cleaned up quickly - only about 6 or 7 items, compared to nearly a hundred the night before - and started to go to the staff tent. I found an envelope on the floor containing two tickets to the closing ceremonies! I had them in my hand. I decided that someone was going to be sick, so I started to take them to the tent to check. The supervisor from last night, the one who wasn't consulted, came running back, looking for his tickets. I said, "Aren't you glad you were nice to me?"
I have a feeling that tomorrow will feel like the day after New Year's Day. The decorations will have to come down and everything will be dull.

No comments: